Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Shiny Vintage Toaster


This past weekend, my sister and I went estate sale-ing. The find of the day was this 1950s GE Toaster! I didn't know I needed a vintage toaster until I saw all that shiny chrome. It was the first thing that caught my eye when I went down the basement stairs. And there is was just waiting for me! 

I found a few advertisements for this model of toaster. Let me tell you, it sure does make toast the way you want it! It makes some of the best toast I have tasted in years! Who knew there was good toast makers and bad toast makers. 
I certainly didn't pay anything close to the original price of $21.95!

With a bit of cleaning of the edges, it looks good as new! I am amazed at how fast this thing heats up. I tested it before purchasing, and was shocked to feel heat in seconds of plugging it in! It is hard to see the modern decorate lines on the side, its so shiny!


Here are a few fascinating toaster facts!
~ 1909 first electric toaster patented. 
~ 1926 First pop-up toaster. 
~ 1940-1960 pop-up toasters became the standard design. 
~ Toasters heat up to 310 degrees to caramelize bread.

One of the ladies at the estate sale remarked on how heavy it was. These toasters are made to last a lifetime and are known for never giving up.

All that shiny chrome........ makes for very hard picture taking!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, I grew up with one of those! I guess I'm vintage too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it never went it out! Do you or your family still have it? Vintage is always good!

      Delete
  2. What a great find!! It is very sharp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I can't believe how much I love this little toaster. Toast is accompanying every meal! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Nice find! I like the decoration on the side. You sure cleaned it up nice! Mine sure could use that. Unfortunately, out of sight, out of mind. Mine is on a counter inside a cupboard, so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a newer chrome model that's meant to look vintage but I will looking for one like that. The old appliances are better built and work better. I'm still using my mother's old iron and it's from that era I think. Nice and heavy and I love it! Good buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I will have to keep an eye out for an iron! These old appliances are well made. It is amazing how long they last. And even better that it was your Mother's! Would be nice to find an iron that would last, I have burnt out quite a few in the years I have sewed.

      Delete
  5. I accidentally came across your blog on aprons and was so enchanted I love all the things you have on your blog so many want to throw out the old and buy the brand new thing on the market . Not me I haunt the 2nd hand store and thrift stores and yard sales keep it up love it

    ReplyDelete