Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The New Winter Lounge-wear Look

I don't usually like to share my sewing projects until they are finished. One never knows what might happen, it might just take a long time, it might not turn out like you planned and you wouldn't be caught dead in it, it might need a bit of something else(what else you are not sure?), so you look at for  few weeks until comes to you. See there are a lot of things! But I am so excited about this one that I had to share! It has been in the making for a long time! Ask the family, I have been talking about this for a year! I just couldn't find the perfect fabric. I knew I wanted quilted, but flannel or not flannel? And I almost fainted when I saw the price of pre-quilted fabric!!
So here is what I am making! A 1960s quilted flannel robe. Not sure why I am making it in the hottest part of summer! Wishful thinking?! I am using the pattern on the left, but have decided to make it look more like the pattern on the right with contrasting binding and collar.
I finally found the perfect fabric! On sale too! The minute I saw it, I knew it was going to be perfect for my robe. It has that just right retro-kitchy feel to it, besides being Pink and roses!
 I cut the pattern out of the top fabric(roses) then layered the batting and bottom fabric(solid pink), pinned it in place and cut it into sections. I didn't want to cut both layers out because of stretching and slipping of the fabric while quilting. I am about half way done quilting the pieces. I will certainly let you know when it is complete. Hopefully before it gets cold!
It is so thick, it will be like wearing a blanket!!

10 comments:

  1. I love the fabric you chose! And it's so much fun to see these old patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I love the pink rose flannel you found; very vintage looking. That will be so cozy this winter. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I thought is had a very vintage look to it too. Which is what I had been searching for....

      Delete
  3. Looks so warm and snugly! I know your going to enjoy it. Are you making a gown or jammies to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure yet if I am going to make matching pj's. I do have a bit of flannel left.....Or I can just go buy more! Maybe flannel pillowcases...... I was thinking of making satin 1940s satin pajammas to complete the look. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my word! what adorable patterns and fabric. You are going to look so beautiful wearing it during the Winter Season. I also need to start planning for Fall and Winter lounge wear. Wonderful Post!!!

    xox,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline!
      I always seem to be planning the next seasons wardrobe at the wrong time..... I still have two summer dresses to make, now that summer is on it's way out! Lol!

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous fabric! The pattern in very similar to robes I had when I was younger. You're doing a beautiful job! It's going to be great and you'll save on heating costs this Winter which will pay for itself! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Lol! I hadn't thought of saving heating costs! I sure will be cozy.

      Delete