Thursday, August 9, 2012

1940s "Project Cotton" Apron

I ran across an article from The University of Missouri on a 1940s apron!! From their project Cotton in Our Lives. Very nicely written! To see more pictures and read the entire article click on the link above.
University of Missouri-Cotton of Our Lives

"The maker was an accomplished seamstress, as evident by the quality of the stitching and the small details that indicate experience. There was obvious pride taken in creating such a simple, yet lovely symbol of the domesticity, meant to be seen on special occasions by loved ones and friends." excerpt from 1940s Apron by Alli Kuykendall-University of Missouri
University of Missouri-Cotton of Our Lives
 Don't you love the fabric?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, I do love that fabric. I need to make another apron. I pretty much need one that covers all my clothing. It's amazing how I can get splatters of olive oil on a shirt and ruin it in a minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!
      I don't know why I always put an apron on when I bake, but only sometimes when cooking......

      Delete
  2. Thanks Heide! I can use this link on my website, as well as the blog! It's a wonderful link for anyone who like aprons. So glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I did think of you when I saw the University of Missouri.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes! It is a very cute apron. Amazing that it is in perfect condition.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love this apron! I have a new pattern and have ordered fabric for it. Love these aprons with bibs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just going to say...yes! I love that fabric! I want to make some cobblers aprons which are sleeveless and have pockets and are almost like a cotton vest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice! Cobblers aprons are very handy for messy projects. There are some great vintage patterns out there for them.

      Delete
  6. It is amazing to me the clothes that I have ruined over the years because I never wore an apron. But I don't think that many of my generation was raised to even THINK to wear one...I have one or two now mostly because my sister's mother-in-law, who lives in my neighborhood ( she is in her 80's now ) always had one on while cooking and one day it dawned on me "DUH I should go find an apron!"
    And even there...I had to go to a cooking specialty store to find one ! : )

    ReplyDelete