Thursday, October 13, 2016

Applesauce and Aprons

Some years we dream of apple pies, some years dried apples, sometimes the dream is just fresh crunchy apples. This year we were dreaming of warm applesauce and spicy apple butter!
As fast as we could get the apples home, the apple peeler and stock pot came out.

In no time at all we had a pot full of sliced apples! 


 Making the whole process speedy was our old fashioned apple peeler. Not a vintage model, this is an updated version that suctions to the table. But the apples are still peeled, cored and sliced the same way, by a hand crank!

 When it comes to fruit prep, I always like to grab an apron that envelops. My favorite is an apron I made years ago from my great-grandma  Anna's apron. It is super soft from many washings, a bit wrinkly from being stored in the linen closet and there are stains along the edge, but it is a part of making and baking for me.

Unfortunately, I neglected to get a photo of the finished product. But let me tell you, it was as good as we had been anticipating!! Now the dream is to fill a corner in the freezer with a small stash for winter.

8 comments:

  1. Love this post :) Fall ihas to be my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am not sure which season is my favorite, I love things about each one. What are your favorite fall activities?

      Delete
  2. Your apron is lovely! I really like that style. I made apple sauce last year, and peeled an entire bushel of apples by hand. I recently ordered a peeler that looks a lot like your peeler. Hopefully that will speed up the process. :) There is nothing like homemade applesauce on a snowy evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sarah, you are going to love a peeler! It really turns applesauce into a speedy process. It might take a little practice at first getting the apples on straight.
      You are so right about applesauce on a snowy evening, the best!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Summer! And happy Friday to you too! Any fall activities on this weekend's schedule?

      Delete
  4. The blue table and red apples look like the colors in my grandma's 1930s bridge cloths. Artistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the look I was going for! A cheerful red and blue vintage kitchen!

      Delete