Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Vintage Flowered Canisters

These canisters are the first thing I bought for my new house!  The plan is to decorate the kitchen in blue with touches of red. The minute I saw these canisters I knew they would be perfect! Don't you think canisters are a great way to add a vintage touch?
I love the flower decal! 1930s-40s?? The canisters are in great condition except for a small spot on the back of the largest canister where the paint is all crackly. They also were a great price! Who can pass up on that!
Because they are tin, I don't feel comfortable about putting flour or sugar in them (the original idea) so I have now decided they will be cookie cutter containers! I also have some tart tins and biscuit cutters that will go in them. Depending on how much room we have left, possibly one will be for raisins and nuts.
 


16 comments:

  1. Those tins will be so festive in your new kitchen! They look so cottage-y. (Is that a word?)
    Hugs,
    Dru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I think cottagey is now word! It certainly describes the decorating scheme for my new house. Maybe vintage cottagey is better.

      Delete
  2. Those remind me so much of the canisters our neighbor lady had when I was a kid. And they were old then! If you did want to use them for flour and sugar, I wonder if there is something you could spray them with on the inside? Then again, cookie cutters are great too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about finding something to go inside the tins. What really bothers me about putting flour or sugar in them is I wouldn't be able wash them really really good as I wouldn't want to submerge them totaly because of the flower decals. Which I didn't think about when I bought them! Lol!

      Delete
  3. What a great find! I am sure your kitchen will look beautiful. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to get it get it done! In the mean time..... there is still alot of work to do.

      Delete
  4. Great color ideas. Can not wait to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom had some so much like these when I was growing up. They are really fun...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are perfect! I have several containers that I keep brown sugar and powdered sugar in, but it can get messy so I just keep them in their bag. That way you can still enjoy the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, true... That is mostly what I am worried about-washing! I might just stick with utensils and non-messy stuff.

      Delete
  7. I may have said this before, but I love your blog as it always reminds me of my growing up years, living with my Mom and Dad and 2 sisters. Both parents gone now so love these moments.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like my blog! I love memories, even ones that aren't mine! Lol! They still make me happy. And in this ever changing world of ours, memories keep us grounded.

      Delete
  8. hi
    I am new to your blog but I love it..
    I love vintage and old too.. and love to see your collection looking forward to seeing your kitchen all decorated ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Apron History!
      So glad you stopped for a visit. I too am looking forward to sharing my kitchen. ;)

      Delete