Thursday, November 1, 2012

Home Sweet Home


Yes, indeed! I have joined the ranks of happy home owners! You don't know how hard to was not share the news with you friends. But, it was a HUD house and every week I was sure the whole deal was going to fall through. Thank goodness, I am done with that and it is officially mine!
We call it the "little house". It reminds me so much of a little cottage. Don't you think I should name it? Built in 1923, it is a one and a half story bungalow with three bedrooms.
This little gem hasn't really been updated since the 1950s when the kitchen and bath were done. Of course, that means there is a lot that needs to be done. The floors need to be refinished, carpet pulled up (including some in the kitchen!), walls painted, insulation put in, more walls painted, the bathroom re-done, trim painted, kitchen cabinets painted.
 Please bear with me if my posts get a bit waylaid...... Life is going to be crazy! I am not sure you will hear much about aprons.....I have paint colors, plumbing fixtures, curtains, tile flooring, hardware, sinks, light fixtures and decorating ideas filling my head!
  But I will take you all along on the journey! Are you ready for a lot of do-it-yourselfing and decorating?! I have decided to post the before and afters room by room as I get them done,instead of one massive picture post.
One of my favorite features is the front door. Yes, it is original. Even the door knob!

20 comments:

  1. WOW! Heide! I am so happy for you! You're gonna love it. It's just the kind of house I'd picture you in. Also the type of house I love! Even though it hasn't been up-dated since the 50s, that's probably a good thing--lots more original--no plastic doors or hollow doors, I bet. It's gonna be a wonderful journey. I can't wait. . . When do we start? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! We start tomorrow with a dumpster getting rid of all that horrible carpet!
      Thank you! It really is the house I dreamed of. And...... I get a bigger sewing room! Yey!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Heide!! Your house is adorable. I am sure you will decorate your house in the most beautiful way- with all of your lovely antique finds. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I am so excited to start the decorating part, but first a little fixing up.

      Delete
  3. I love it!!!!! That's what I need! It IS a cottage and the door is gorgeous. I can't wait to follow you on your journey with it. How exciting!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make sure to keep you posted on the journey. For I am sure it is going to be a trip!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations !! Your cottage is as pretty as a picture ; ) I love it. I hope you will be settled and at home real soon. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the whole process don't take too long either, but with remodeling one never knows!
      Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  5. Yes, you most definitely should name that house! (Think England) And congratulations new homeowner! I have always loved that style of house, and I too would have been excited to see that original doorknob. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi,
    I am delighted to read you are a homeowner, Yay! What a beautiful house. I am sure you are going to bring it back to its original splendor, and I can't wait to read all about it. Let me just say I love the covered front porch it's so inviting. I am so happy for you, cheers!

    xox,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline! I am very excited too. The porch is one of the features I love about bungelows.

      Delete
  7. I am so happy for you! How wonderful. I am so excited to watch how you decorate and do all you do.
    I love the doorknob.
    I will tell you, we bought a "This Old House" too, it can be hard work (especially with plaster) but it feels so good!

    Best to you-Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good! This is the fouth old house in the family, so hopefully we have made all the mistakes! Lol!

      Delete
  8. Oh it is lovely! I can't wait to come see it and see what the brothers have cooked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I!! I think it should be done by March, if you can make it up then. :)

      Delete
  9. I live in a small older bungalow...I'll enjoy your posts ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our city has an aboundence of bungalows. I love to look at them all!
      Thanks for commenting, I look forward to hearing from you again!

      Delete