Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cookbook: Our Favorite Recipes

 This is one of my favorite cookbooks. Even though I haven't made a lot of recipes from it yet. Why is it one of my favorites? It was put together by the ladies of St. John's Ev. Lutheran Church in West Bend, WI in 1949. I didn't know one could self-publish a cookbook that early! You can see the personality of each lady jump off the page as each recipe is in her own handwriting! I have never seen anything like it.
 I love just looking through it at all the different handwritings. The little sketches accompanying the recipes are wonderful too.
 Baked Ham by Elsi Ramsthal and Ham Loaf by Mrs. H.C. Bennallack. Such distinctive writing.
 Pecan Pie by Mrs. A. D. Alberecht. The little squirrel makes me laugh!
Rose Cake by Miss Hattie Miller. This recipe looks intriguing, chocolate, rasisins and sour cream....
Now all I need to do is find a little time to try some of them out!!

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE all the different handwritings and the drawings are so much fun! I am trying to personalize my cookbooks and make notes in the too. It's just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a published cookbook with handwritten recipes, I understand why you like it. Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I, that is what I found so interesting too.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful piece of history! I can see why you love it! Just to look at it is fun, and I bet the recipes are all very practical!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very fun to look at, one of my favorites to just read through.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen a cookbook like this. How fun. I wonder if each lady drew her own illustration? Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the front page the illistrations were done by one lady.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen a cookbook with the person's own handwriting! How kool is that? The Rose Cake grabs my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It grabbed mine too! I wonder why it is called Rose Cake?

      Delete
  6. Need some recipe recommendations??? My grandmother's and mother's copies of this great recipe book are from 1949 and my edition was printed in 1976. This is my go-to recipe book for comfort food, and every recipe is wonderful - it is especially fun to try them exactly as they are written, without today's dietary upgrades. I blogged about recipes from this book twice: http://welcometocenturyfarmhouse.typepad.com/welcome-to-century-farmhouse/2011/07/all-around-the-mulberry-bush.html and http://welcometocenturyfarmhouse.typepad.com/welcome-to-century-farmhouse/2012/12/a-little-ginger-a-little-spice.html
    I'd love to share more about the book with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see that this is an old thread but... I was researching today on this very cookbook. I HAVE ONE! Given to me by my grandmother. I've contacted the church about their copyright and if it's ok to use them if I start a blog. I made the pecan pie for a friend just today. That's what got me started. The church website says they still are printing cookbooks. I'd love a new one.

    ReplyDelete