Thursday, January 26, 2012

January Reading

It is a rainy, misty, moisty, gloomy, dark day here in this corner of Wisconsin. Can you tell I am not enchanted with it? When you get one glorious sunny day every two weeks, you get a little sun deprived. Living so close to Lake Michigan has it's disatvantages. There are certain times of the year, we might as well be living in England! I know, I have the January blues.... Usually, we can count on January being clear and bright because of the cold weather, but not this year, one gloomy week after another.......All I really want to do is curl up and read a good book!

My current read is Georgette Heyer. If you love reading Jane Austen, you will love Georgette Heyer. She researched her books extensivly and it is like stepping back in time.

 "Her novels have charmed and delighted millions of readers for decades, though she rarely reached out to the public to discuss her works or personal life. She was born in Wimbledon in August 1902. Heyer published 56 books over 53 years, until her death from lung cancer in 1974. Her work included Regency romances, mysteries and historical fiction. Known as the Queen of Regency romance, Heyer was legendary for her research, historical accuracy and her extraordinary plots and characterizations." from Barnes & Noble

"Sprig Muslin" - Finding so young and pretty a girl as Amanda wandering unattended, Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore her to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian. His captive in spring muslin has more than her rapturous good looks and bandboxes to aid her - she is also possessed of a runaway imagination... (Google Books)
You can also read a preview of Sprig Muslin on Google Books.
 
Have a cozy day!!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. That reminds me - I was in a Barnes & Noble and went through all the Georgette Heyer books, reading the backs so see which appealed to me the most. I forgot all about it until now, for I've got so much other stuff I need to read. BUT, I remember that it was 'Envious Casca.' Have you read that? Was it worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, haven't read that one yet. I did see it in the library. I will have to get it out and let you know.

      Delete
  2. One of your previous posts had an apron pattern that I have in my grandmother's pattern box. She always wore an apron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice!! How marvelous that you have that piece of history! Have you used the pattern? I would love to see it.

      Delete
  3. I am a Jane Austin fan and do you know I have to admit I have not read any of Georgette Heyer books. Must see if I can get them for my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just be aware that not all the books she wrote are Regency, some are detective novels! I would think they would be availble, I have noticed that some of her books are being re-published.

    ReplyDelete