Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Old Apron Photos

Do you ever visit etsy.com? It is such a fun site. A great time waster, but very inspirational! One of my favorite searches is to just type in "apron" under the vintage category and see what is new. I can get anything from apron fabric to vintage apron patterns to actual aprons. The last time I was on, I found these old photographs featuring aprons! So fun!  All of the photos are for sale on etsy.
Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/thevintagemode

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/MeetTheInLaws

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/MeetTheInLaws

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/christmasangel
I had to post this one! How often do you see pictures of men wearing aprons?

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/vintagewarehouse

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/photoparty

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/vintagewarehouse

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/gwensewvintage

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/RomanceWriter

Courtesy of www.etsy.com/shop/maclancy

6 comments:

  1. Aren't those wonderful photos! Those men must be butchers that they'd be wearing aprons (although the aprons look pretty clean. Maybe it was just before work.) I think in our antique school readers many of the photos of women show them wearing aprons. (as everyone should do if they don't want olive oil spattered on their t-shirt! I can't tell you how many shirts I ruined before I started regularly wearing an apron.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always go to etsy, but never to look up photos. Wow! Heide, all the photos are beautiful.
    I'm inspired to take more pics of myself with my aprons.
    Thanks for sharing.

    xox,
    jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Aprons are esential for cooking!

    I wish some of the photos were relations! Then I would have a claim on them. They are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures Hiede!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say most of those photos were "posed" for. I don't think many modern women would intentionly pose for a photo wearing their apron. Except if it was to purposefully show their apron. Back then, wearing an apron was an all day every day thing to do, just another item in a womens wardrobe. I wear an apron, (my uniform) but I do think aprons are a great saver of dresses for everyday wear, especially for housework and keeping sticky little fingers from spoiling a clean dress.
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous May 1 is right. dresses were washed only once or twice a week. so it would make sense to protet it from everyday dirt and grime, not just cooking mess.

    I am 58, and I can recall my Great Grandmother and others of her generation had aprons on no matter what time of day you came to visit. it dropped of with my Grandmothers Generation and was nearly gone by my mother's generation and well now .... aprons are a rare occurance.

    ReplyDelete