Tuesday, March 10, 2015

DIY Footstool for the Book Nook (part 1)

Another project I have been working away on whenever I get a moment is the footstool in the book nook! I finished part 1 a month or so ago, but haven't gotten around to part 2, the quilted cover, yet. The project got a little way laid this fall as I let my sister borrow the foam squares I had bought. She returned them in a few weeks, but then Christmas was right around the corner and in the hustle and bustle is got put on hold.
I used this tutorial from Better Homes and Garden for inspiration. Who knew it was this easy to make an ottoman?! I really wanted a round footstool but the trend seems to be square and it was a bit difficult finding a small one. This one is just the right size to perch one's feet on! 
 Once I started looking I was surprised at how easy it was to find all the parts. A round pre-cut piece of wood from Lowe's for the base; legs and brackets from the hardware store I painted white; two foam squares with batting wrapped around them from JoAnn Fabrics; topped off with canvas fabric leftover from another project. Now I just need to make the quilted cover! 
 I also had to share another new addition to the book nook, a beautiful pillow my sister Becky made me. What a lovely surprise! 
 I love how she used a vintage napkin on the front, it highlights the details so well!
So what projects are you working on Friends? Are you sprucing up to get ready for Spring?

3 comments:

  1. Your little ottoman is coming along beautifully! I love the pillow you sister made. What a clever idea using a vintage handkerchief! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 ottomans that I got at garage sales for under $3.00 that I haven't done a thing with yet but I use them! One has a lid that lifts up which I like for storing handwork. I can't wait to see the fabric you use. YOu do such a good job on everything you do. the pillow is precious. I like the one with the hexies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun! Are you planning on doing anything with the ottomans? I hadn't thought of looking for them at garage sales.
      I love my pillows! Two might be a little much for the chair, not enough room to sit really, but they look so cute! Lol!

      Delete