Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mrs. Pinkham's Vegetable Tonic


Have you ever heard of Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable compound? It was one of the first "medicines" marketed just for women. There is a very interesting history of the company here. They were a very prolific company publishing quite a few booklets on a variety of subjects.
This one is a cooking booklet. Published around 1929.
 The testimonials are quite something with their dramatic wording. But as usual for cookbooks of this era, you can spot several very cute aprons!

 "Wholesome Candies" ?!? 

 This one is on Sewing. Love the cover! It is also the same time frame 1928.

 Directions for an apron, which I made and posted about here.

 A simple negligee......
 a Nightgown.....

I love this illustration of  a "modern working girl"!



8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Heidi...I just LOVE this! My mom used to take those tablets! When I was a little girl, there would always be a bottle of these in our medicine cabinet...along with Doan's Pills...lol! Those pills remind me of that episode, "VEGA-MEATA-VITAMIN" on the I Love Lucy Show! I would also love to know the name of a liquid vitamin that Mom would give me when I was little...it was a syrupy looking liquid in a bottle that had a somewhat citrusy odor....I LOVED them and couldn't wait for my daily dose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given Lydia Pinkham's in liquid form. It was awful. To be honest, I do not remember why I was given this, but it must have been a cure all for many things. love this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I am sure most of the "tonics" were awful then! The list of ingredients are frightening!

      Delete
  3. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun - and great illustrations too! Where can I get a bottle or two of that stuff??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those pages....thank you! I might try a few of the recipes and even those patterns. I could live back then so easy except for the "feminist" part and they didn't have the feminine personal products they have now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Grandmother swore by Lydia Pinkhams Tonic! I especially liked the cure for fainting spells. I see some recipes I'd like to have, so I think I'll pin them for future reference! Blessings, Dru

    ReplyDelete