Monday, April 16, 2012

Sewing Day!

 I've had a shirt dress on my to-do list for a long time. A few months ago I finally found the perfect fabric; a lightweight cotton/spandex blend in dusty rose. I used a vintage 1964 pattern- Simplicity 3039, from my collection.
I studiously ignored everything on Saturday, except the lunch bell, and sewed away! I don't remember if I've ever sat down and completed a dress in one sitting. If I have, it has been a very long time. By that night, the only thing left was to sew four snaps on!
 It is very handy to have an hourglass figure when sewing with vintage patterns. The only alterations I needed was additional seam allowance on the bodice side seams, because I didn't have the right size. I also shortened the sleeve length and changed the button placket on the skirt to snaps hidden in the pleats.


Hopefully, I can get some better photos. I just wanted a few quick snaps to share with you all!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice. I use to wear shirt dresses all the time. I loved them.
    Excited to see the next set of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they will be coming soon!! I think we are over our rain for awhile, so the light will be good.

      Delete
  2. Lovely job! I love the style and color! I have a similar pattern that I hope to sew for myself soon. : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to sew! Pretty basic, so it goes to together quickly. The pleats were a little crazy, but that was because I played with them.

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress. You sew beautiful.^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely compliment.
      It looks so 50s housewife, doesn't it!

      Delete
  4. What a great job, brings back many memories of days of sewing. I haven't had a sewing machine for a long time but have been looking at them again. Hvae you worn the dress yet and do you like watching Mad Men by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet!!
      And no...I haven't seen Mad Men. But, I have been stuck on Perry Mason and Father Knows Best...must have rubbed off! Lol!

      Delete